Blogspot Tutorial

{Dragons} {Elves Faeries} {Magical Creatures} {Greek Mythology} {Folklore Legends} {Mermaids} {Selkies} {The Garden} {Urban Legends} {Lorelay Lost}

Monday, April 29, 2013

Annabel Lee - Edgar Allan Poe 1849

Annabel Lee






It was many and many a year ago,
  In a kingdom by the sea,
That a maiden there lived whom you may know
  By the name of ANNABEL LEE;--
And this maiden she lived with no other thought
  Than to love and be loved by me.
She was a child and I was a child,
  In this kingdom by the sea,
But we loved with a love that was more than love--
  I and my Annabel Lee--
With a love that the winged seraphs of heaven
  Coveted her and me.


And this was the reason that, long ago,

  In this kingdom by the sea,
A wind blew out of a cloud by night
  Chilling my Annabel Lee;
So that her high-born kinsman came
  And bore her away from me,
To shut her up in a sepulchre
  In this kingdom by the sea.


The angels, not half so happy in Heaven,

  Went envying her and me:--
Yes!that was the reason (as all men know,
  In this kingdom by the sea)
That the wind came out of a cloud, chilling
  And killing my Annabel Lee. 


But our love it was stronger by far than the love
  Of those who were older than we--
  Of many far wiser than we-
And neither the angels in Heaven above,
 Nor the demons down under the sea,
Can ever dissever my soul from the soul
  Of the beautiful Annabel Lee:--


For the moon never beams without bringing me dreams
  Of the beautiful Annabel Lee;
And the stars never rise but I see the bright eyes
  Of the beautiful Annabel Lee;
And so , all the night-tide, I lie down by the side
Of my darling, my darling my life and my bride,
 In her sepulchre there by the sea--
 In her tomb by the side of the sea. 
By Edgar Allan Poe 1849

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...